Wisconsin used to be known for having the best public education in the country. Then came Scott Walker. We will fully fund public education in this state. We will stop the Walker policy of slashing education after his election and then restoring a little funding before his re-election. The long-term impacts of his education policies are disastrous for Wisconsin’s economy. Teachers are leaving the profession or the state in droves.
This means we will fully fund our public schools, technical colleges, and the UW System. We particularly need to restore the University of Wisconsin’s status as a premier research institution. Walker has vandalized the University of Wisconsin, tried to change the mission statement, eliminated statutory tenure, and made deep cuts to funding.
It also means fixing the student loan crisis. Banks, abetted by their Republican cohorts in the Legislature, are profiting at the expense of our students. We should not force a lifetime of debt on those young people who are trying to find a place in the 21st Century economy.
To restore the excellence of public education in Wisconsin, we will:
- Fully fund public education in this state, in both urban and rural districts, including transportation and broadband. This will require fixing the funding formulas so that no district is unfairly disadvantaged.
- Fully fund the UW System campuses and WTCS.
- Ensure that up to two years at Wisconsin’s public universities, colleges, or technical schools will be tuition free for in-state residents.
- Reaffirm the mission statement of the University of Wisconsin.
- Restore statutory tenure.
- Promote and advertise the excellence of the University of Wisconsin.
- Fight to pass legislation that allows borrowers to refinance their student loan debt when rates drop.
- Establish the Wisconsin Student Loan Authority to regulate and guarantee student loans at Wisconsin colleges and universities, based on the best practices of existing Student Loan Authorities around the county.
- Matt Flynn Announces K-12 Education Plan, Calls for Supporting Teachers on National Teachers Day
- Matt Flynn’s Statement Supporting the National Walkout Against Gun Violence
- Election Year Walker Supports a Tuition Freeze. 2019 Walker Won’t.
- Scott Walker Created a Teacher Shortage, Another Reason He Must Go
- Matt Flynn Releases Proposal to Fix Student Loan Crisis